Monday, June 4, 2012

Brain Vacation

I wrote the first draft of my novel for National Novel Writing Month back in November of 2010, and, aside from December 2010 when I took a month off to recuperate, I've pretty much been working on it non-stop since then. The good news is that half of that time has been spent creating my world and the rules in it, as well as crafting a general synopsis for what's going to happen in the three books that follow. So, hopefully, writing the next books will not take me quite as long.

Bad news is, though I'm pretty close to having a finished product, I'm still not there yet. And I've gotten to the point where every time I open up my manuscript, I start off okay, but then run into a bit that needs editing and then realize that I'm going to have to go back in my story and change something else to make things flow right and then once I'm there I see that I forgot to mention that Character A's hair is up in a bun instead of down and then suddenly I'm all, "OMG, I TOTALLY SUCK AT THIS NOVEL-WRITING THING." And then when I think about trying to fix it all, I look like this:


Source: OlanRogers

I've decided that's really not a good look for me. So, I've given myself permission to not write a single novel-related thing this whole week. The thought is terrifying and awesome at the same time. I'll get to do normal person stuff like laundry and dishes and vacuuming. Guys, I might even actually see my floor by the end of the week!

I'm going to get to read the stack of books I've got piled up. I'll probably also read a few of my writing books to refresh me on stuff I probably used to know but forgot in the midst of all the flailing about me being the worst writer ever. I'm going to give my brain a chance to relax and not feel guilty when it's 10 p.m. and I still haven't worked on my novel yet.

Because I think sometimes you need to give yourself permission to chill out. And hopefully, something beautiful will come as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs