Sunday, May 24, 2015

I'm still here.

Well, seeing as it's been more than a year since my last post, I finally decided to blow the dust off this blog and try again. My first novel-in-progress is in its millionth finished draft and is being proofread by an awesome friend so I can edit it for the million and first time before heading back out into the query trenches.

However, since my child was born a little more than two years ago, I'm still having an enormously hard time getting back into my writing groove. I have a pretty stressful job (which anxiety issues makes even more stressful), and then I have to come home to play with, feed and put to bed a very active (and frequent tantrum-throwing) toddler. By the time I get him to bed, make myself something to eat, and think about throwing in a load of laundry or cleaning something, it's bedtime and I have nothing left to give.

I've tried getting up at 5 a.m. to write before work. I do better writing in the morning when I'm fresh (after the coffee has kicked in). That's successful for maybe three days before I can't make myself lose that precious extra hour of sleep any more. It's incredibly frustrating. I've gotten to the point where I don't like being on Twitter anymore, reading about other writers doing fantastic in their writing goals. I keep thinking, "What's wrong with me? Why can't I do it any more?"

Well, every time I think of just giving up, I find myself coming back and trying another tactic. And this weekend I decided on another tactic.

The plan is to do one full week of NaNoWriMo-like writing. About 2,000 words a day. I'm going to get up early every day this week, including the weekends, and cram in writing to every possible second until I hit that 2,000 words a day. Then, the following week, I can completely goof off. Do whatever I want. Sleep in that extra hour. Take naps on weekends when my son does. Whatever. I'm just not going to feel guilty about relaxing because it's my "off" week. Then just keep alternating the weeks.

I'm thinking that if I know I only have to write hard a week at a time, I'll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and not give up after three days or so. It might be slow progress, but right now anything is faster than the standstill I'm at right now.

I'll make progress reports to check in with how I'm doing. Maybe it will be a total flop. Maybe I'll find something that works. Maybe I'll have to tweak it. I'm just jumping in, praying that I can find the writing grove again before my characters get frustrated and give up on me.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great idea! May have to try that myself sometime! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works! I'll keep you updated on how things go. :)

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs